Everywhere we turn, there is a new gadget online or on T.V. that will make your gardening experience better. While some of these claims may be true, you cannot go wrong with basic gardening tools. Here are some tools that you will want to have in your possession upon beginning your gardening:
- Hand Trowel: this tool is like a sharp extension of your hand. It is perfect for digging into soil to plant a garden and works amazingly at digging out weeds. Search for a stainless steel trowel for durability.
- Gloves: you would be surprised at the amount of pointy, sharp things you will find in a garden. Stinging bugs, thorns, and wood splinters can all bring the most perfect gardening day to a quick halt. Invest in some tough gardening gloves that will last and protect your hands while you enjoy your hobby.
- Garden Hoe: this tool can be used for so many areas of gardening. From chopping up hard soil, to digging little holes for plants, to cutting out weeds, this is a tool that you will want to have in your arsenal. Try to find one where the blade and handle are all one piece or strongly connected because it takes a beating and needs to last season after season.
- Pruning Shears: once your garden begins to grow, you will want to maintain its beauty and health. Cutting back shrubs and harvesting flowers for your kitchen table can both be done with the help of pruning shears. These sharp blades should have a mechanism that locks securely and that has handles that are easy to grip, especially if wet.
- Cart or Wheel Barrow: there will be times when you will need soil, fertilizer, and other large or heavy items to transport to your garden. A wheel barrow or a cart that you can pull are invaluable at these times. They will save you time and a back ache.
- Garden Hose: once you plant your seedlings and bulbs, you will need to provide water to them. Investing in a quality hose that is long enough to get from the hose bib to the garden itself is important. Choose to either stand there and water with a nozzle or use other forms of watering such as a soaker hose which has small holes in it that slowly seeps water into the ground.
These are some of the essentials that are recommended to have on hand when you begin gardening. Gardening is a fun and relaxing past time when you have the right tools on hand. Shell Lumber has a plethora of gardening supplies. Visit us today! We are located at 2733 S.W. 27th Avenue Miami, Florida 33133, visit us online or give us a call locally at 305-856-6401 or Toll Free 800-621-6391.